Lost in the wood

Community home and general chat.
peter

Lost in the wood

Post by peter »

Why is it so quiet here to the forum?

First of all I thought they are all in forest, looking for a Christmas tree.
Maybe that they didn't find their way back to the roots without compass.

I hope, they find enough meals in the dark forest and some Computers with internet connection.
You can send SOS to the forum, and we bring flashlights to you.
Awaclus
Forum Veteran

Re: Lost in the wood

Post by Awaclus »

Small forum is small, and when most of the users are Finnish, the amount of discussion in English is close to 0. Also, until something interesting happens, we have already discussed almost everything worth discussing, and even in the Finnish part of the forum, the discussion is mostly how to -questions, answers to them, and random off-topic.

By the way, most people in Finland don't go to a forest in search of a Christmas tree. They're either buying them and paying ridiculous prices for them (30-50€) or not having any.
TheDuck
Devoted Member

Post by TheDuck »

Chaosworm wrote:By the way, most people in Finland don't go to a forest in search of a Christmas tree. They're either buying them and paying ridiculous prices for them (30-50€) or not having any.
And also many people prefer plastic christmas trees nowadays, because they dont drop so many needles on the floor and dont cause allergy problems.
^^
peter

Post by peter »

Hi Duck,

and what about you, do you fear the dark forest and all these rabbits in it?
do you go into a Super market and buy a plastic Christmas tree without tinsel and it cost 25€ ?
TheDuck
Devoted Member

Post by TheDuck »

peter wrote:Hi Duck,

and what about you, do you fear the dark forest and all these rabbits in it?
do you go into a Super market and buy a plastic Christmas tree without tinsel and it cost 25€ ?
Actually, dark forests are pretty scary. We've had a plastic christmas tree in our family for years, because many of us are allergic and our house is a large area to clean up already even without needles everywhere! And we bought our plastic tree many years ago. We just build it again every christmas and after christmas we break it in parts and bring into our storage waiting for next christmas! So it's not like living christmas trees which you have to buy again every years.
^^
peter

Post by peter »

Hi Duck,

It is a good idea, storing your plastic Christmas tree, it is good for the forest.
I take never a tree or plastic tree, some spruces branches are enough for Christmas.
Jare
Devoted Member

Post by Jare »

I buy a real christmas tree every year and after christmas I cut it to pieces. Next summer I burn it in sauna at our summer cottage. This way it's not wasting of trees.

Edit: Typofix ("peaces" :P)
peter

Post by peter »

Hi Jare,

Buying a tree is against the nature. If you cut it in some parts, that is very painfully for this tree.
And to the end must he burn, like a witch . Greetings from the dark ages.

Do you like my story?
Awaclus
Forum Veteran

Post by Awaclus »

peter wrote:Hi Jare,

Buying a tree is against the nature. If you cut it in some parts, that is very painfully for this tree.
And to the end must he burn, like a witch . Greetings from the dark ages.

Do you like my story?
You've clearly watched Black Death recently. If you haven't, you should. At least it includes cutting stuff in some parts (mostly humans though, not trees), which is painful, and burning witches.
esa94
Guru

Post by esa94 »

The English in this thread, it's mind-bogglingly terrifying and I'm having a hard time comprehending some of these sentences. Homophones? From a Finn, no less? Terrifying!
peter

Post by peter »

Hi esa94,

some corrections:

1.) mind-boggling
2.) homophone
3.) by a Finn

But do not worry, we are all not better!
Last edited by peter on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
esa94
Guru

Post by esa94 »

peter wrote:Hi esa94,

some correction:

1.) mind-boggling
2.) homophone
3.) by a Finn

But do not worry, we are all not better!
Oh, I wasn't talking about your posts, really.
Since you're not a Finn. I thought that was obvious.
peter

Post by peter »

Yes, this is okay!
I am not evil about that, was fun.
TheDuck
Devoted Member

Post by TheDuck »

Who even cares about the correct grammar or spelling? If everyone still understands what you mean, what's the problem?
^^
Awaclus
Forum Veteran

Post by Awaclus »

TheDuck wrote:Who even cares about the correct grammar or spelling? If everyone still understands what you mean, what's the problem?
The problem is, that eventually being careless about the correct grammar and spelling leads into a situation in which people who speak the same language can't necessarily understand each other. You know, for example "itikka" means a mosquito in some parts of Finland and a cow in others.

I might be faulty of using incorrect words or correct words in the wrong order, because Google Chrome doesn't automatically point that out and because usually people share the attitude with TheDuck and don't bother to correct me when I've failed -> I continue to fail in the same way. I realize this, and I'm sorry whenever it happens and grateful to anyone who corrects me.
peter

Post by peter »

Hi,

Nobody is perfect and that is real life.
Everybody can read anything if all have a bit fantasy.

This not being perfect, is the atmosphere of this forum and really very cool.
I have always much fun!
Jare
Devoted Member

Post by Jare »

esa94 wrote:The English in this thread, it's mind-bogglingly terrifying and I'm having a hard time comprehending some of these sentences. Homophones? From a Finn, no less? Terrifying!
Thank you for pointing out my typo!

I've seen more worse English in some other forums than in this thread.
esa94
Guru

Post by esa94 »

Jare wrote:
esa94 wrote:The English in this thread, it's mind-bogglingly terrifying and I'm having a hard time comprehending some of these sentences. Homophones? From a Finn, no less? Terrifying!
Thank you for pointing out my typo!

I've seen more worse English in some other forums than in this thread.
The very wording of that sentence — or rather, the whole post — was intending to humorously point out said mistake, yes.

And I suppose TheDuck just proved the other point a little bit more.
CCE
Artist
Artist

Post by CCE »

CoolBasic Forums are currently in a weird "limbo" state between the old officially unsupported version, and the new unreleased one. The old version ("Wanha CoolBasic") is technically inferior to many competitors like GameMaker and FreeBasic, and I think people are afraid to start any big new projects with it because the new and improved version is just around the corner.

I believe the biggest reason for this quiet English section is the lack of proper manual, and no-one is willing to translate it (well, there was a group project but it faded away for some reason) since it would be instantly outdated when the new version hits the shelves.

So yeah, I can't see any reason why a programming newbie would choose current CoolBasic instead of some better supported, more modern alternative. Maybe we should discuss other programming languages and game making tools here too, just like it's happening on the Finnish section :)
Awaclus
Forum Veteran

Post by Awaclus »

CCE wrote:Maybe we should discuss other programming languages and game making tools here too, just like it's happening on the Finnish section :)
While I don't see a problem with discussing other programming languages and stuff here, I also fail to see, how would it make the forum relevantly more active. There are plenty of better places to discuss other programming languages and game creation tools in English on the Internet, which leads to probably nobody registering here for wanting to discuss other programming languages and game creation tools. If someone is already registered here, then he or she might post and/or be willing to read something about other programming languages and game creation tools here, but that would be having more posts that aren't related to CoolBasic just for the sake of having more posts on the forum, which doesn't make the forum more active in my opinion (but it wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing, as long as CoolBasic would remain as the main point of the forum).